Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Dinner with the Wolf's



Tonight we had a wonderful evening with Brian’s parents, Dean and Charlotte, and Brian’s grandmother, Grandma Thummel. Brian’s sister, Cheryl, made an awesome supper which included Brian’s favorite desserts, no-bake cookies and Cheryl’s cherry bars. We had a few visitors stop in to say “Hi” and it was nice for Brian to get to see them before he left. It was nice to sit and visit with his parents and Grandma without the hustle and bustle of a filled house. The kids had fun playing on the organ and with some old cars that Grandma Charlotte had found in the basement. Some of them were even Daddy’s toys from his childhood. Ainsley and Daddy played a short song on the organ together. It was so fun to watch the two of them together. They are a great pair, Ainsley and Brian. Brogan had to join in too, he doesn’t like Ainsley to get any more Daddy-time than him.


We finally decided we better get the kids to bed. It was time for another long goodbye. I know Brian hates to do these as much as I hate watching them. It’s so hard watching everyone try to be strong for one another when deep inside we are all thinking of the very raw emotions that come with war and long goodbyes. . . Did I tell him I’m proud of him, did I tell him to stay safe, did I tell him we’ll keep the home front running while he’s away? At the same time I know Brian is probably thinking the same thing . . . .Did I tell them to stay strong and watch after Stace (he NEVER calls me Stacy – if he does – I KNOW I’m in trouble!) and the kids, Did I tell them not to worry too much, Did I show her how to change the furnace filter, Will she remember to feed and water my dog, Did I tell them they make ME proud, did I tell them I promise to stay safe?

The goodbyes also come with everyone offering help and support for Brogan, Ainsley and myself. We have many friends and family that let us know they are just a phone call away to help our family out in Brian’s absence. Sometimes it’s the offer of helping with house maintenance or the offer of watching the kids to give me some alone time. No matter how big or small, we are very grateful for every act of kindness bestowed upon our family. All of you are part of what helps keep Brian safe. He knows that his family at home is being taken care of and watched over, which he means he can rest easy and keep focused on the mission ahead. So, THANK YOU!!

No comments:

Post a Comment