Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11: Ten Years Later

Today, I spent my day remembering the lives that were lost on September 11, 2001.  I felt myself drawn to the memorial services this morning and news footage of the attacks this afternoon.  Tonight, I was drawn once again to watch an update to the stories behind the photos we all have seared into our memory.  We were celebrating my nephew, Jatin's 4th birthday today, so I was surrounded by my family all day.  Throughout the day we shared our own memories about where we were when the towers were hit. I can remember my husband, sitting by the tv all night long, watching . . . just, watching.

Today, as I watched the stories of lives that were changed from that day forward, I thought about all of our lives and how we, as a nation, have changed since September 11.  I knew that on that day, my life would be changed.  Brian and I had been married just one week shy of a year.  Brian had been in the KSARNG for almost 8 years and he was a soldier that took his job with pride and seriousness.  Something that I admired then and still do now.

Ten years after the initial attacks against the United States of America, the death toll is still rising.  Tens of thousands of soldiers have been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan to continue defending the freedom that each of us deserve, yet don't always appreciate.  Many of those soldiers have made the ultimate sacrifice and have  come home with flags draped and medals polished.  Let us take this September 11 to remember those soldiers who have fought and given their lives because of the threat of terrorism.


No comments:

Post a Comment